*BREAKING* "GUNNY" R. Lee Ermy From 'FULL METAL JACKET' Dead At 74

Our U.S. Marine brethren & fans worldwide are supremely saddened by the death of "Gunny" R. Lee Ermy from the classic Vietnam War movie, 'Full Metal Jacket.'  



He played Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in this Stanley Kubrick film. Ironically, this role mirrored his own experiences. 

According to Fox News, Ermy was actually a former Marine Corps drill instructor in real life. 

His longtime manager, Bill Rogin, posted on Twitter, said he died due to complications from pneumonia. 

Rogin further wrote,
He will be greatly missed by all of us. Semper Fi, Gunny. Godspeed.
A Kansas native, Ermey enlisted in the Marine Corps and age 17 and spent 14 months in Vietnam before he was discharged in 1972. He served as a technical advisor in Francis Ford Coppola's Vietnam War epic, "Apocalypse Now," in which he also had a small role as a helicopter pilot.

But Ermey didn't get his big break until nine years later, in Kubrick's own take on Vietnam. 
Conservative To The Corps
An outspoken conservative, Ermey spoke to Fox News in 2016 about being "blackballed" from Hollywood over his political views.
"I've had a very fruitful career. I've done over 70 feature films," he said. "I've done over 200 episodes of ['GunnyTime']... and then [Hollywood] found out that I'm a Conservative."
Actually, he corrected, "I'm an Independent, but I said something bad about the president. I had something unsavory to say about the president's administration, and even though I did vote for him the first time around, I was blackballed."
Ermey, who was an NRA board member, said at the time that his association with the organization and his disapproval of President Obama cost him acting jobs.
"Do you realize I have not done a movie in five to six years? Why? Because I was totally blackballed by the ... liberals in Hollywood," he alleged. "They can destroy you. They're hateful people [who] don't just not like you, they want to take away your livelihood ... that's why I live up in the desert on a dirt road ... I don't have to put up with their crap." 

No comments:

Post a Comment